It seems internet use isn't going to be so expensive after all, so welcome back to Budapest and Beyond. As of right now, it's just Budapest.
We landed in Budapest this morning at 10:20 am local time (4:20amEST), only 14 hours after arriving in Pittsburgh yesterday. Our flight here was only a little over seven hours, three and a half of which were spent in semi-nap mode. Papa tried to wake me up to tell me we had started our descent, and that the breakfast box was on my tray. After a few unfruitful shoves, he resorted to tapping me on the nose, which worked. 20 minutes later we were on the ground. As for the rest of the trip, it was pretty uneventful, which is a good thing.
I always wonder who gets the seats between first class and the back of the plane, because it's never me, or anyone I'm travelling with. For example: The ticket for our flight to JFK (which I slept through) said our seats were in row 12. "Not bad," I thought as I boarded and began looking for seat 12A. As I searched, the rear of the plane drew nearer and nearer, until finally, row 12. One row before the bathrooms. Five hours later, as we boarded the big one, the same process began, except this time I was looking for row 40. And as I searched the rear drew nearer and nearer again, until finally, seat 40A. One row before the bathrooms. But, I must say, there is a big difference between that second to last row and the last row. As I'm sure my mom remembers from her last trip across the pond, the last row is no place to spend a night. The second to last, however, wasn't so bad.
Other things happened, like the hour long search for a mailbox in JFK, running into Jim (I think) and Susie Anderson in JFK, and Papa's large Blueberry Blast smoothie from Smoothie King, but none worth mentioning at the moment.
Anyway, back to Budapest. We had about a 30 minute drive from the airport to the ship, where we were greeted with a "light lunch." As we ate our first real meal since 43920, I was given the image of Papa suiting up to battle his lobster bisque as "O Fortuna" played quietly in the background. It was followed by an instrumental version of the Police's "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic", and then some waltz everyone knows, but no one can identify. Hmm...interesting mix.
After our lunch, Papa wanted to explore the sun deck, since we couldn't check into our rooms yet (we were early). It took him about 4 minutes to find a cushioned chaise and fall asleep. I brought out the camera and took a few pictures of the scenery. These computers don't have a USB port visible, so I guess I'll have to describe what's around us. To the right, we have Parliament, and a bunch of other old, important looking buildings. To the left, we have what appear to be old Roman ruins built into the hill side. I have a feeling I'll find out what these are tomorrow on our tour. There is a jazz festival in sight, and I have a schedule for it, so I'll see if maybe I can talk Papa into walking up there with me later this evening. If not (don't worry, Mom & Dad), I'll probably try to get some exercise on the ship. We're spending tomorrow in Budapest too, so tonight is pretty open.
I haven't seen much of Hungary yet, but I have seen my favorite character since leaving the states. At the airport, I shared an elevator with a Hungarian adolescent, whose face resembled George Dunlap V only with dark, curly, long hair. His shirt said,"I can't help what I like. I prefer to be naked."
Until tomorrow, szia (hello/goodbye). I think our room is ready.
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment